It was bought by Professor Jean-Louis Faure in 1914; at his death in 1944, his two daughters decided to make Mercuès into a comfortable and welcoming hotel. In fact it was Georges Hereil, the father of the Caravelle, who really gave the Château de Mercuès its new destiny when he acquired it in 1966. He undertook vast building work including the huge swimming pool at the bottom of the park and the lift, discreetly concealed in the XIIIth century edifice. After his death in 1980, the Ch√¢teau was closed and gradually sank into oblivion.
Attracted and seduced by the exceptional site, a Cahors winegrower named Georges Vigouroux, acquired the Château de Mercuès in September 1983. Determined to turn it into one of the finest castles/hotels in France, in his turn he carried out an enormous rebuilding program to restore the Château de Mercuès nobility and return it to the fold of Relais & Châteaux hotels.