The History of a Medieval Castle The origins of Château de Mercuès date back to the XIIIth century when the Bishops Counts of Cahors decided to build a castle to defend the town of Cahors and the Lot valley..
During the Hundred Years War and the Wars of Religion, Mercuès was invested, pillaged from top to bottom and burnt down. It was only in the XVIIth century that the Château rose from its ashes and then became a pleasure residence where the Bishops of Cahors resided until the Revolution.
The terraces, gardens and orchards were created during this period. In 1904, the separation of Church and State obliged the Bishop of Cahors to abandon Mercuès.